Adie is an extremely fast and convenient programming text editor written using the FOX Toolkit.
Author: Jeroen van der Zijp
Homepage: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/adie.html (It's back - 01/21/10 --DMcCunney)
Syntax File: http://sites.google.com/site/texteditors/Home/files/Adie.stx
Man Page: http://sites.google.com/site/texteditors/Home/files/adie.1
Family: MicrosoftWindowsEditors LinuxEditorFamily
Platform: Windows, Linux
License: Open source
Besides being a nice text editor, Adie is also an extremely convenient file viewer, supporting a plethora of methods to move from one file to the next.
For each visited file, Adie remembers where in that file you were last looking, and which special places in that file have been bookmarked, so you can quickly return to frequently visited places.
Project browsing is made easy by optionally displaying a File/Directory? browser side by side with the text so files may be visited by means of a single click. Files may also be opened simply by highlighting a file name, compiler warning message, or #include directive and hitting a single button; Adie will search for the file in the same directory as an already loaded file, or in a number of predefined directories (like for example include directories).
- Preferences are configurable with convenient dialogs.
- Text size only limited by available memory.
- Persistent bookmarks may be set for each file.
- Persistent scroll position is remembered for each visited file.
- Wheel mouse scroll support.
- Online help built in.
- Now supports multiple toplevel edit windows.
File Access Features
- File Dialog supporting bookmarked directories.
- Dropping a file into Adie opens the file.
- Single-click access to file using File/Directory? browser.
- Visit recently edited files.
- Jump to file and line number of highlighted compiler warnings or errors.
- Customizable list of file patterns; show only source files, for example.
- Open a file by highlighting a #include directive.
- Customizable list of directories to search for header files.
- Detect if file changed outside of editor to prevent accidental overwriting.
- Unlimited undo/redo capability.
- Cut and paste to clipboard support.
- X11 primary selection support using middle-mouse paste.
- Drag-and-drop support for text move or copy.
- Brace matching, statement block, and expression block selection.
- Up to 10 persistent bookmarks may be set in each file.
- Search and replace history is stored persistently.
- Auto-indent feature.
- Strip trailing spaces, strip carriage-returns for DOS files.
- Automatically add newline after last line.
- Indent or unindent selected text; clean indentation.
- Search for highlighted text.
- Goto line number, goto highlighted line number, goto matching brace, goto begin/end of block.
- Fixed word wrap column, or continuous word wrap mode.
- Mouse wheel or right-mouse scroll support.
- Customizable word-delimiters to select words by double-clicks.
- Insert files or extract highlighted text to file.
Syntax Coloring Features.
- Syntax coloring is programmable, using PERL-like regular expressions.
- Patterns now read in from external file; standard set of patterns is provided for common programming languages.
- Automatically determine syntax based on either file extensions or file contents.
- Text styles including foreground, background, selection colors, as well as underlining and strike-throughs.
- Text styles can be interactively modified from preferences dialog.
- Color fallback mechanism to minimize style setup hassles.