Shareware word processor for scholars
Author: Stefan Hagel
Screenshot: (See feature list below screenshot)
The Classical Text Editor was designed to enable scholars working on a critical edition or on a text with commentary or translation to prepare a camera-ready copy or electronic publication without bothering much about making up and page proofs. Its features, formed in continuous discussion with editors using the program, meet the practical needs of the scholar concerning text constitution, entries to different apparatus and updating them when the text has been changed, as well as creating and redefining sigla. The possibility to search for and visualise manuscript constellations may be of considerable help in detecting affiliations between sources. It is the primary purpose of the Classical Text Editor to do the automatable work which consumes so much time and energy, and let the scholar concentrate on scientific issues.
- Supports apparatus (critical apparatus, notes, commentaries, apparatus of references, etc.):
- Lets you create any number of apparatus, as footnotes or endnotes.
- Automatically references the text in the apparatus and indexes the references according to the actual line wrap.
- Marks references which need to be updated if the corresponding text has changed.
Lets you use one document for three purposes:
- Prints camera-ready copy - or lets you create a PDF document to view and print anywhere.
- Lets you export XML (according to the TEI format) for publishing in the Internet or on CD-ROM.
- Lets you export an HTML document for publishing in the Internet.
- Lets you do additional XML and HTML tagging, if you need more than the standard output.
Supports working with sigla:
- Lets you define sigla for manuscripts, editions or any constellation of text-witnesses.
- Lets you redefine the sigla at any time.
- Solves and builds sigla from and to manuscript constellations automatically.
- Lets you search for constellations of manuscripts etc.
- Lets you delete no longer used manuscripts etc. from the whole document.
- Is able to print the currently available text-witnesses in the apparatus for each page.
Includes the following layout features:
- Provides line numbering according to chapter and / or page.
- Lets you create right / left / inner / outer margin text.
- Provides several predefined layouts for arranging parallel texts on the page or on facing pages.
- Is able to print chapter and line numbers according to page or double page in headers and footers.
- Supports the Unicode character set.
- Provides complete mirroring between odd and even pages, including margins, paragraph boundaries and justification.
- Lets you print text and notes in columns independently.
- Justifies columns vertically.
- Lets you work in edit-mode, made-up-mode and provides print preview.
- Provides over thirty different kinds of page and footnote numbers (Letters, Roman, Arabic, Indic...).
- Counts page numbers in steps of one or two.
- Supports cross-references to page or chapter and line.
- Supports linking and embedding of objects (graphics etc.).
- Automatically creates tables of contents.
- Includes the "Greek Poetry" option for optimal alignment of Polytonic Greek.
Lets you create indices:
- Automatically creates full text indices.
- Lets you define entries for any number of indices.
- Indexes text and / or any set of notes.
- References all indices by page and line number.
Lets you type whatever you like with:
- Predefined Unicode keyboard layouts for Latin characters with diacritics, Cyrillic, Modern and polytonic Greek, for Arabic, Devanagari, Hebrew, Hiragana and Katakana, Yiddish, and even for Runic, Gothic and Ogham.
- Any number of freely definable additional keyboard layouts.
- Automatic change of keyboard mode and writing direction according to the current font.
- MultiKey? support.
- Supports right-to-left and bidirectional text (Hebrew, Arabic):
- Handles right-to-left and bidirectional text.
- Justifies text with the last line of a paragraph aligned to the right or centered.
- Imports Hebrew (and Greek) text from BibleWorks?®.
- Online Update
- Once installed, it will take you just a minute to upgrade to the most recent version - by menu command.
- Import of RTF-files (enhanced import of any number of apparatus).
- Keyboard-shortcuts for frequently used commands.
- Access to many formatting commands through the ruler or the toolbar.
- Freely definable autotext.
- Search and replacement of text and formats.
- Character, paragraph and section formatting.
- Left-aligned, right-aligned and centered tabs.
- Paragraph and font templates.
- Recording and playing of macros.
- Extensible menu to include your macros.
- Built-in Graphics viewer
- Customizable transliteration (Greek, Arabic, Devanagari...)
- Context sensitive help.