Configureable syntax highlighting text editor
Author: Eden Kirin (See Updates below)
Homepage: http://www.context.cx/ The new site is: http://www.contexteditor.org/
ConTEXT is a programmer's editor for Windows. Has SyntaxHighlighting, bookmarks, macro recording, and other features.
The syntax highlighting is flexible enough that it can accommodate new programming or scripting languages, and the web site offers downloads for dozens of highlighting files for obscure languages. Still in active development.
The software is available as freeware, but the source code is not available.
- unlimited open files
- unlimited editing file size, 4kB line length
- powerful custom defined syntax highlighter
- multilanguage support (supported languages: English, German, French, Croatian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Esperanto, Spanish, Galego, Italian, Hungarian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovakian, Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian, Slovenian, Turkish...)
- project workspaces support
- unicode UTF8 support
- code templates
- customizable help files for each file type
- file explorer with favorites list
- file compare
- export to HTML/RTF
- conversion DOS->UNIX->Macintosh file formats
- editing position remembering across files
- macro recorder
- commenting/uncommenting code
- text sort
- normal and columnar text selection
- search and replace with regular expressions
- search and replace text in all open files
- incremental search with text emphasizing
- C/Java?-style block auto indent/outdent
- customizable color printing with print preview
- exporting configuration stored in registry
- customizable syntax highlighting colors, cursor shapes, right margin, gutter, line spacing...
- user definable execution keys, depending on file type
- capturing console applications standard output
- compiler output parser for positioning on error line
- powerful command line handler
- minimize to system tray
- install and uninstall
Update: From the developer's website
Friday, 07 September 2007
Due to various engagements which cause lack of my full attention and continuous further development of the ConTEXT project, I'm officially announcing that the ConTEXT project is offered FOR SALE and starting the bid.
Saturday, December 29th 2007
In December 2007 the ConTEXT project was handed over to David Hadley.
ConTEXT will remain to be a freeware text editor and development of the project will continue.
In the upcoming months, changes will be made in the following areas:
- Website Development : FAQ - Forums - Support
- Improved Accessibility : Speed - Useability
- Feedback Review : Implementing Ideas/Suggestions? from the people that count
- ConTEXT Development : Improving/Adding? features as requested
The ConTEXT Team would like to wish everyone a happy season!
From the ConTEXT web site:
Sunday 25th September 2011
ConTEXT has not been developed for a long while. This is because ConTEXT was originally written using Delphi which requires a licence for users to develop with the components used.