gedit is the official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment.
Maintainers: Paolo Maggi
License: Open source
While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor.
Currently it features:
- Full support for internationalized text (UTF-8)
- Configurable syntax highlighting for various languages (C, C++, Java, HTML, XML, Python, Perl and many others)
- Editing files from remote locations
- File reverting
- Print and print preview support
- Clipboard support (cut/copy/paste)
- Search and replace
- Go to specific line
- Auto indentation
- Text wrapping
- Line numbers
- Right margin
- Current line highlighting
- Bracket matching
- Backup files
- Configurable fonts and colors
- A complete online user manual
gedit features also a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features to gedit itself. See the plugins page for more info on the existing plugins.
Screenshot: (GEdit showing UTF-8 support)