jEdit is a Java-based programmer's editor.
Author: Slava Pestov
Homepage: http://www.jedit.org or http://jedit.sourceforge.net
Platform: Sun Java Virtual Machine
License: Open source
It is free software with a GNU GPL license, meaning that you get the source code. It has a wide user base, which means support from many other people is available. It will compile for the following operating systems: Unix, MacOS X, Windows, VMS, and OS/2.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Dozens of macros and plugins available.
- Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the "plugin manager" feature.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 130 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- ColumnMode feature is called "Rectangular Selection"