QEmacs (for Quick Emacs) is a very small but powerful Emacs-like UNIX editor
Author: Fabrice Bellard
Family: EmacsFamily LinuxEditorFamily
Platform: UNIX, Linux, BSD
License: Open Source
Relatively lightweight clone of Emacs. Home page boasts that it is 150K, with the potential to compile a 49K version without some of the bloatware, however when I built it using the default "./configure;make" it was 240K. Performed well except for some messed up display updates when changing the display width (in a telnet text window - not using X which it also supports). --RonPerella?
Bellard wrote it to learn about Unicode rendering algorithms, text buffers manipulation and XML/HTML/CSS parsing.
- Full screen editor with an Emacs look and feel with all Emacs common features: multi-buffer, multi-window, command mode, universal argument, keyboard macros, config file with C like syntax, minibuffer with completion and history.
- Can edit files of hundreds of Megabytes without being slow by using a highly optimized internal representation and by mmaping the file.
- Full UTF8 support, including bidirectional editing respecting the Unicode bidi algorithm. Arabic and Indic scripts handling (in progress).
- WYSIWYG HTML/XML/CSS2 mode graphical editing. Also supports lynx like rendering on VT100 terminals.
- WYSIWYG DocBook mode based on XML/CSS2 renderer.
- C mode: coloring with immediate update. Emacs like auto-indent.
- Shell mode: colorized VT100 emulation so that your shell work exactly as you expect. Compile mode with next/prev error.
- Input methods for most languages, including Chinese (input methods come from the Yudit editor).
- Hexadecimal editing mode with insertion and block commands. Unicode hexa editing of UTF8 files also supported.
- Works on any VT100 terminals without termcap. UTF8 VT100 support included with double width glyphs.
- X11 support. Support multiple proportionnal fonts at the same time (as XEmacs). X Input methods supported. Xft extension supported for anti aliased font display.
- Small! Full version (including HTML/XML/CSS2/DocBook? rendering): 150KB big. Basic version (without bidir/unicode scripts/input/X11/C/Shell?/HTML/dired): 49KB.