TextRoom is a free (as in freedom and free beer) full screen text editor developed especially writers in mind.
Author: Petar Toushkov, Omer Bahri Gordebak.
Family: WritersIDEFamily FullScreenEditorFamily
Platform: Linux, Windows
License: Open Source
TextRoom and all other similar editors share one goal: to get you writing right away by providing distraction free environment to your liking, as well as familiar set of keyboard shortcuts to control its behavior. If you don't feel comfortable already with your editor of choice, you may find it useful.
- basic rich text editing: bold, italic, underline, and changing font and font size
- configurable statusbar colors and fonts
- configurable editor width and height
- configurable behavior: full-screen on/off, auto save, flow mode (disable delete and backspace keys), load last document on startup, remember position in text for the last file
- insert current time and/or date
- live word count
- live clock on statusbar
- targets: setting deadline, target word count and timed writing
- keyboard shortcuts for the most common tasks (if you start the program for the first time, just press F1 for help)
- typing sounds similar to a typewriter which can be disabled.
- cross-platform: Linux and Windows. If anyone is interested in or has done compiling TextRoom on a Mac, please contact us