Powerful programmer's editor written in assembly language, with macros, large file support and more
Author: Greenview Data, Inc.
Platforms: CP/M, MS-DOS, Windows (CP/M and DOS no longer supported)
- Edit absolutely any file - text, data, binary (hex) or EBCDIC; even 100+ Gigabyte files (VeditPro?).
- Edit in ASCII, Hex, EBCDIC, Octal or any combination of modes.
- Edit Windows/DOS, UNIX and Macintosh text files, data files with fixed or variable length records.
- Multi-file, multi-window (MDI) editing.
- Powerful columnar blocks - cut, paste, fill, search/replace, indent, sort by columns.
- Translate between EBCDIC and ASCII, IBM PC and ANSI.
- Convert newlines, smart detab/retab, flexible sorting.
- Flexible search/replace with ultra-fast pattern matching or regular expressions.
- Perform numerous search/replace on entire groups (even thousands) of files.
- Color syntax highlighting, smart indenting, template editing and other programming features.
- Extensive HTML, C and ASM editing features.
- Integrated compiler support, including Java SDK.
- Powerful C-like macro language for writing custom translators, filters, more.
- Comprehensive searching, translating, filtering and file comparison.
- Fully configurable keyboard layout, emulations and over 250 configuration parameters.
- Exceptionally compact (only 550K VPW.EXE, no .DLLs) . Easy to install.
Vedit Fan sites:
For example, you can edit a 500 megabyte file with ease using VEDIT
. It is written in AssemblyLanguage
for speed. This editor has a built-in MacroLanguage
, does multiple windows (even in DOS) and has such goodies as SyntaxColorHighlighting?
. It has template capabilities and for assembly language programmers, it even offers a unique "uppercase everything to the left of a semicolon" mode.
This allows Assembly language that was typed liked this:
mov ax,bc ;neato
jnz L1 ;stuff is Cool!
to look like this:
MOV AX,BX ;neato
JNZ L1 ;stuff is Cool!