Difference (from revision 7 to current revision)
, author diff
(The revisions are identical or unavailable.)
Tiny (4K!)``BRIEF''-like editor
Author: Joseph (Yossi) Gil
Family: TinyEditors, MsDosEditors, BriefFamily
License: Free for non-commercial use
Tiny ``BRIEF''-like editor by Joseph (Yossi) Gil.
TERSE is a tiny (only 4096 bytes) but amazingly powerful full-screen editor for files of up to 64K in length. TERSE runs on all PC compatible machines. Its command keys are very similar to those of the famous BRIEF editor (by UnderWare? Inc.). TERSE can edit both UNIX and MS-DOS style text files as well as binary files. No hacker's disk is complete without it. No disk, be it hard or floppy, is too full to include it.
- Very small: fits in 4096 bytes = 4 clusters on 5.25"/3.5" floppies.
- Minimal free memory requirements: 137KB.
- Uses current screen size, including the most common 80x25 screen dimensions but also unusual sizes such as 40x16, 40x25, 40x40, 40x50, 132x25, 132x43, 96x33, 80x30, 80x33, etc.
- Fully DESQview (version 2.0 and above) aware.
- Edit binary files. TERSE is ideal for a quick and dirty job of editing and patching strings in small programs.
- Supports editing of UNIX style files (lines terminated with '\n').
- Supports both '/' and '\' as directory separator.
- Edit lines of unlimited length (limited only by file size).
- Automatic unlimited horizontal scrolling.
- BRIEF-like keyboard configuration.
- Support for TABS, and configurable tab positions.
- Prevents snow when run on a CGA screen.
- CUT, COPY and PASTE
- SEARCH, SEARCH again, and TRANSLATE commands.
- Safe: confirm exits when text is not saved.
- Edit files whose name contains spaces and other weird names.
- Extended version (the SLIM editor) of size ~5k with many more features, including support (via external filters) for word count, sorting, charcter codes translations, quoting, tab expansion and unexapnsion, and other complex editing tasks.
- Status line indicating: current column, current line, horizontal scrolling, total number of lines, file name, modified status, insert/overwrite status, the current offset in file and total file size in bytes are dispalyed in the status line. The extended version also displays the HeX? value of the current char.
Archive also contains L.COM, a 3K file viewer based on Terse with editing code removed, S.COM (Slim) a slightly larger version (5K) of Terse with additional features, and H.COM, a version of Terse for HP palmtops.