Open source Java IDE for students learning Java
Author: Carl Burch
Family: IDEFamily JavaBasedEditors
Platform: Sun Java Virtual Machine
Jigsaw is a Java IDE designed specifically for introducing students to programming via Java. Features include:
- A simple one-window interface.
- Programs are compiled and executed with a single click, removing the irritation of students executing old versions of programs.
- Errors are displayed in a convenient graphical format.
- After successful compilation, Jigsaw proceeds to analyze the program for common programming errors and stylistic problems, such as doing integer division on constants ("1/2"), omitting private for instance variables, or labeling intended constructors with a void return type. These warnings can be disabled through the Preferences window.
- Jigsaw is based on students' experiences at Hendrix College since Fall 2005.